Friday 15 February 2008

A cat's tale


Amie the same age as Noah is now, looking a lot like he does I think


A blast from the past... Amie and Neo, before there was Amie and Noah!

Well today is a big day for Amie, her first holiday without her mummy (or Noah). We were meant to be at a wedding in London tomorrow… but sadly, it wasn’t to be. First of all Noah is ill with a virus, causing an ear infection and bronchitis. I had him at the dr. yesterday to check he would be ok to fly, and he was giving the all clear.. so it was all systems go.


Seeing how much Neo loves flowers, maybe I should buy him a "Get Well Soon" bunch all for himself

However, my other son, Neo hasn’t been himself all week. It started on Monday when I had to wake him up to get some chicken (alarm bells should have been ringing already then), but he’s continued to just lie around the house, eating very little, not purring, not grooming himself.. and even losing weight (which in itself is not really a bad thing). Of course, thanks to a visit to the vet when he was 6 months old, Neo is missing a few accessories, but he’s still a male.. so I didn’t pay too much attention to him at first, I just put it down to a feline version of “man flu” and expected him to be ok in a few days. He’s had this before where he’s been off for 3 days and then just recovered himself. However, last night when we got back from dinner, I got a bit of a shock. He looked like he was 20 years old, not 4.. and something just told me he really was sick (not least a dream I had that night about a friend of mine who’s a veterinary nurse who urged me to take Neo to the vet as it was an emergency… you don’t need to be Freud to figure out what that dream was trying to tell me.


We finally took him to the vet this morning, 2 hours before we were due to leave for the airport. She took blood samples because she was worried about his kidneys, and I had a nervous 20 minutes waiting for the results. Luckily his kidneys are fine, and it appears from his fever and raised white blood cell count that his body is fighting an infection (and like every fight Neo has ever been in, it was losing). So, a shot of painkillers and antibiotics late, not to mention a lot of freshly cooked chicken, he’s back to purring and washing himself… which is a good sign. I’ll have to force some antibiotics and painkillers down his gullet for the weekend, and take him back on Monday.. when hopefully he’ll be given the all clear.


Considering this is what I would have looked like at the wedding, perhaps it's just as well I didn't go........I'm SURE that dress has shrunk since I hung it up the after the last time I wore it!

Amie and daddy made there way to London, and from what she’s told me over the phone this evening they are having a great time. They have the camera with them, so I hope they get some nice pictures that I can put up on the blog. It’s strangely calm without Amie around, but also uneasily quiet. I guess I just get used to the chaos.. speaking of which, it’s time I tidied the sitting room… and made the most of a chance to sit down and read myself a bedtime story for once.

Will keep you posted on how little Neo is doing… and Noah too for that matter!

No comments: