Saturday 16 February 2008

Neo

As promised an update on how he's doing.. I'm sorry to say he's not doing well. He really didn't seem to respond the the painkiller the vet gave him this morning.. he was yowling and trying to hide under the furniture when we got home and still not touching any food/water. So I phoned her at 3pm and said "I know you said to wait till 6, but he's really not looking well and I don't see the point in waiting 3 hours to phone you". She said she'd do an x-ray, so I fed Noah and brought Neo down at 4pm.

She took him away to x-ray him, and I sat with Noah who was asleep in the buggy. A few minutes later she called me, and I knew by the tone in her voice something was wrong. She showed me the x-ray and explained that there was nothing to see on it, but that didn't mean he didn't have a blockage.. certain things won't show up. She told me that the real problem was he was going into shock, he was shivering and turning blue (his gums at least.. not him) and that he needed to go right this minute to a clinic 1/2 hour drive away or he would die. Needless to say, everything was a bit of a blur. She kindly phoned me a taxi and gave me his x-ray and urine samples to take with us.

It was the longest 30 minutes of my life. Neo was on the front seat, and I was in the back with Noah. I could hear him miowing for a while, and then he went quiet. I couldn't keep the thought that we were already too late from entering my head. Noah was sitting beside me in the car, being as good as gold.. and it was really nice to have his hand to hold. He seemed to sense I needed it as he held it all the way there.

We got to the clinic ontime, Neo was x-rayed again.. still nothing. They mentioned that it might be posioning, and the previous vet had said the same.. and that if it was posion, without knowing the type it would be almost impossible to treat. He was then admitted to have a warm drip during the night. The last time I saw him he was being carried away looking really small and ill. I placed a kiss on his head and said goodbye to him. They told me to phone tomorrow morning at 9:30.

When I got back home, and got Noah to bed the thought occured to me that there had been no mention on posion yesterday, all he had was a fever and a bacterial infection. I had administered a wormer to the back of his neck last night at 9pm, on the vets instructions. She said if he had worms that would also make him feel ill. I couldn't help connecting the fact that he was so ill this morning to the fact that he'd had the wormer. I phoned the vet and asked her to consider this as the source of the toxin. She said she'd been on the phone to the clinic and they had talked about it, but ruled it out as neither of them had ever had a case of this kind of reaction with the brand. However, it does say on the leaflet that the use of this wormer isn't widely tested on ill animals, and should be used in a need-risk assesment basis. I'd read this before giving it to him, and just assumed that the vet wouldn't have told me to worm him if it was going to do him harm.

Tomorrow I will phone up and see how he's doing. It's a really tough time, I personally feel that it was the wormer, and that by trying to make him better, I may have posioned him. But he's in the best possible place at the moment, and I'm sure they are doing all they can for him. Tomorrow morning can't come fast enough, so I can hear how he is :(

1 comment:

Caroline said...

Big hugs to you & Neo. Fingers crossed for the morning. Cx