Saturday 16 February 2008

Well it's 4 in the morning, and I can't sleep. I phoned the clinic at 9pm to tell them I was certain that it was the de-worming treatment that had caused the posioning. I'd been looking online about this product, and it stated that it was to be used with caution on ill animals. Other websites I looked at warned about using a worming treatment on sick cats as it could be fatal. In my mind, there's no doubt that it's the worming treatment I put on his neck at 9pm Friday night that is causing his problems. I am just so mad at myself that I didn't look at these websites last night, I would never have put it on him. He was improving last night, at 8pm when I was putting Noah to bed, Neo followed me upstairs and waited outside his room. When I came out he was purring and we had a little cuddle, he looked like his old self.

The woman at the clinic didn't speak great English, but she understood me well enough. She said that they had tried treating him for this specific posion but that there was no way to get it out of his body, all they could do was to try to support his kidneys as he tries to flush the toxin out of his systerm. (This was incidentally going against what my vet had told me when I phoned her at 8pm to tell her I thought it was the wormer, she said she's considered it but didn't think it was possible as she's never seen this reaction with the product before. Has she never heard the saying "there's a first time for everything" ? But then she's the one who told me to use it, so she might just be covering her tracks.

Regardless of the outcome, I'm going to print out the pages about this product, and highlight for her where it says it is not suitible to use on a sick animal. At least this way all Neo's suffering will not be for nothing, if it prevents her perscribing it to another cat that's ill.

Noah can't sleep either, I best go up to him

No comments: